I am passionate about both expanding the evidence base as well as bridging the gap between research and practice. Below are some samples of my work.
Forthcoming Book from Routledge
Influencing Health: A Comprehensive Guide to Working with Online Influencers
Have you ever eaten at a restaurant based on a recommendation from a friend? Has a friend ever seen a movie because you gave it rave reviews? Most likely, you have. In doing so, you have participated in some form of peer-to-peer marketing, albeit informal. More recently, these peer-to-peer influences have migrated online as evinced by the popularity of Amazon reviews and apps like Yelp. Finding a dentist in your area is as easy as a quick Google search. Finding a good Reiki provider is as easy as using the “Recommendations” feature on Facebook. Finding a gym that is open 24 hours can now be done with just a few clicks using Yelp.
However, the world of online influence is bigger and more diverse that just a series of digital tools—and more and more, we are engaging with them for health-related information. The emergence of everyday online opinion leaders has created a whole new market for shifting consumer perceptions and behaviors. In fact, many of these everyday online opinion leaders have built such large social media presences that they now have the voice, the platform, and the following to reach millions of people with personal points of view on any number of topics. The opportunities for engaging with online influencers to support marketing and health promotion programs are great; however, navigating this online community is new to many people.
Understanding how this online community works, the opportunities for paid and unpaid engagements, and the value that health programs, specifically, have with this community, is paramount to successfully working with online influencers. This book draws from research with over 600 online influencers, the latest industry data, and practical, real-world experiences working with influencers over the past ten years. An easy-to-read guidebook for marketers and health communicators alike, this book leverages storytelling as a means for sharing lessons learned and providing readers with practical knowledge about the online marketing industry and influencer community.
If you are interested in purchasing a copy of this book, please contact me today!
- The “Real World”? Effects of Online Communication about Prostate Cancer on Offline Communication
- The Power and Perspective of Mommy Bloggers: Formative Research with Social Media Opinion Leaders about HPV Vaccination
- Perceptions About Disseminating Health Information Among Mommy Bloggers: A Quantitative Study
- Opinion Leaders for Health: Formative Research with Bloggers about Health Information Dissemination
- How Health Prevention Campaigns and Online Influencers Can Work Together
- Trending now: future direction in digital media for the public health sector
- Perceived Stress in Online Prostate Cancer Community Participants: Examining Relationships with Stigmatization, Social Support Network Preference, and Social Support Seeking
- A Tale of Two Tools: Reliability and feasibility of social media measurement tools examining e-cigarette twitter mentions
- The Use of Digital Communication Channels to Enhance Environmental Health Literacy
- Leveraging social and digital media for participant recruitment: A review of methods from the Bayley Short Form Formative Study
- A review of social media methods and lessons learned from the National Children’s Study
- How to Host an Engaging Social Media Chat (and Keep the Trolls at Bay)
- Why We Need Influencers to Spread Breast Cancer Awareness
- Leveraging Social Media 101: Messaging to Trending
- How Marketers Can Address Digital Literacy and Why They Should
If you need help with social media strategy, study design, evaluation methods, or working with online influencers, I can help you! Contact me if you want to discuss opportunities for collaboration.